Saturday 13 October 2012

5. Cesarean recovery was harder than I imagined

I was told in details how the cesarean would be, from the moment of the anesthesia to having my baby in my arms, but no one told me a single thing about the recovery.
Silly me, I thought I would feel the scar a bit sore and it would be hard to walk the following day, and that would be it. 
When the nurses told me they were going to transfer me to the recovery room downstairs, I asked how would I get there as I couldn't feel my legs properly yet. Now I understand their faces when they told me they would transport me in my bed using the elevator. 
On the day of the birth of my child I couldn't feel much because of the spinal wearing off slowly, the painkillers they gave me and, obviously, the joy of seeing my baby for the first time. They put a catheter and only took it out the following day, so I didn't have to get up to go to the toilet. Funny thing is that the operation makes the woman pass a lot of wind afterwards, which is hilarious!
Talking about hilarious, I wasn't able to laugh or cough or do anything that involved the tummy muscles, as it was very painful. To get up for the first time and go to the loo the day after, my husband helped me getting out of bed and changing my maternity pad (it will bleed for weeks). It was very painful and a nurse told me I should have asked for her help because a lot of people pass out from the pain when they get up for the first time. The feeling is that all of my organs were going to fall from the cut in my belly. But it is important to get up and move to avoid blood clot.
Going back home in the car (not driving, obviously!) was painful as well. I was dependent on my husband to pick up our baby, give me food, give me a bath and brush my hair! I could only get up and have a shower on my own about a week later. It took a month for the stitches to stop hurting and 5 months down the line, I still had some parts that were numb and sensitive around the area.
Of course, I would do it all again for my son. It is incredible how this experience makes you a stronger person!

No comments:

Post a Comment